Abacus Plumbing Pros Advise Homeowners on Frozen Pipes Bursting in Homes Across Houston Area
The crazy-cold weather in Houston this week has shocked us all. Many of us don’t remember it ever being this cold, and for good reason—the last time Houston experienced multiple days of below-freezing temperatures was decades ago.
With the extreme weather have come serious implications, including frozen and burst water pipes that threaten to damage homes and properties.
Many Houstonians have never had to deal with frozen pipes. Sadly, as pipes have frozen, burst, and thawed, they’ve released floods of water now ruining ceilings, walls, flooring, furniture, and possessions. It’s like adding insult to injury, and the people of Houston are now cold, miserable and distressed.
Abacus Advises Houston Community on KPRC NEWS 2 Click2Houston Local News
At Abacus Plumbing, Air Conditioning, and Electrical, our hearts go out to our Houston community during this time of discomfort and worry.
Understanding that information helps alleviate distress (knowing what to do in emergencies makes a difference), our Abacus staff has partnered with news outlet Click2Houston to give Houston property owners advice and suggestions regarding frozen and burst pipes.
Abacus Plumbing Service Manager Tim Jordan and Licensed Plumber Chris Castro have both appeared in Click2Houston news reports this week.
What to Do About Your Houston Frozen Water Pipes
Tim and Chris have given these recommendations for dealing with frozen and burst water pipes.
- If possible, fill a bathtub with water (for toilet flushing, hand washing, and “spit” baths) to use if you have no running water
- Turn off the main water supply coming into the home (look for an above-ground valve usually located near an exterior wall often near the garage)
- Open a bathtub or laundry tub faucet slightly to ease the pressure when frozen water in pipes thaws
- Stop pipe drips as much as you can to conserve water
- Let frozen pipes thaw out by themselves; don’t try to speed the process
- When you turn the main water supply valve back on, do it slowly and look everywhere for indications of burst pipes; if you see leaks, turn the main back off until pipes get repaired
- Call Abacus Plumbing to repair burst pipes
- File an insurance claim right away
At Abacus Plumbing, Air Conditioning, and Electrical, we’re answering phones and working around the clock to help our Houston community at this great time of need.
Call us at 713-766-3605. We’ll respond as soon as possible.